Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,773 pages of information and 210,006 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Granton Harbour, Edinburgh.
of 504 to 508 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow (1900).
Owned by John Stirling
formerly J. and C. Stirling
An old-established Scottish coachbuilder that bought Coventry Daimler chassis and fitted them with its own coachwork, finishing the first such car (fitted with a Panhard-Levassor engine) as early as January 1897, several weeks before the first Coventry Daimler car was sold.
1898 January. Exhibited two carriages at the Dundee Cycle Show.
1898 December. 1st AGM report.
1902 September. Details of the new 12-hp double tonneau.
1903 Patent. Application Number 16,153 for Improvements in Or Relating to Transmission Gear for Motor Cars and Other Machinery (Edinburgh) by Drake, Arthur James and Stirling's Motor Carriages Limited
Stirling's Motor Construction Co (1903) Ltd had been formed with capital of £120,000 but had only called and received £657 by December 1904, and was sold to the Scottish Motor Engineering Co on November 3, 1905, for £17,500 (£10,000 cash and £7,500 in £1 shares), and had capital of £40,000.