Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,028 pages of information and 213,093 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Retreat St, Wolverhampton
1906 The Stevens Screw Company Limited was formed; it was run by Joseph Stevens, father of the five Stevens brothers, together with his daughters Lily and Daisy. The premises in Pelham Street were across the road from the brothers' factory, Stevens Motor Manufacturing Co
1908 Moved to Retreat Street
1917 The brothers left Retreat Street which allowed the Stevens Screw Company to use their building for additional workshop space.
1938 Billie's son, Jim, started work at Stevens Brothers.
Early 1950s: Employed over 70 staff. Production consisted of hundreds of different small parts including bolts, nuts and screws, in ferrous and non-ferrous metals made from bar.
1956 Jim became a director of the company, following the death of his father, and took over the running of the company. The decision was made to sell Stevens Brothers (Wolverhampton) Limited, and concentrate on the running of the screw company.
1973 Wolverhampton Council served a Compulsory Purchase Order on the factory. Moved to share premises with what had been the family's other business across the road.
1992 The factory was closed. The buildings were acquired by Engines Limited.