Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,459 pages of information and 233,880 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Stephen Harding Terry (1853-1924)
1853 April 15th. Born at Dummer, Hampshire
1870 King's College
1871 Joined Aveling and Porter
Joined Clayton and Shuttleworth
Joined Bumsted and Chandler
1893 Moved to London as a consulting engineer
1901 Article on 'Steam Pipes on Sea and Land' 
1924 Obituary 
STEPHEN HARDING TERRY was born at Dummer, Hants, on 15th April 1853.
He was educated in the Applied Science department of King's College, London, and was articled to Messrs. Aveling and Porter, engineers, Rochester, being afterwards employed for three years in their road locomotive works.
He then spent some time as draughtsman in the works of Messrs. Clayton and Shuttleworth at Lincoln, and gained further experience in their works at Vienna.
Subsequently, after acting for some time as assistant to the late Mr. Vitali de Michele in the laying-out of the Cliff Cement Works of Messrs. Francis and Co., he was appointed in 1878 an engineering inspector under the Local Government Board, a connexion which continued until 1889.
He made the "type drawings" adopted by the Board as standards in sewerage arrangements and water supply, and during his tenure of official position conducted some 800 inquiries, with reports thereon, in respect to various works carried out by local authorities under the Public Health Act. He equipped the first National Vaccine Station.
On severing his connexion with the Board he joined, as managing partner, an engineering firm in the Midlands, its business being the construction of colliery winding engines, steam and hydraulic cranes, water-works engines, and petroleum storage plant; and he subsequently started in practice as a consulting engineer in Westminster.
Through a long course of years his advice and guidance in this capacity were sought for in connexion with a very wide range of engineering work, embracing gas, water and electricity undertakings, heating and warming, steam cars, cranes, petroleum storage and transport, refuse destructors, forced draught and ventilation of ships, and rating valuation.
His publication on the "Foundering of Steamships" was published in 1882.
Petroleum matters engaged Mr. Terry's special attention, and in collaboration with Sir Fortescue Flannery, M.P., he devised a system of petroleum ship ventilation which has since been very widely adopted. After his retirement from the active exercise of his profession, Mr. Terry took up his residence at Seaton, Devon, and his death occurred there on 15th December 1924, after a very short illness, at the age of seventy-one.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1882.
He was also a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers, and in earlier years an Associate of the Institution of Naval Architects.
"THE LATE MR. STEPHEN HARDING TERRY.
The death of Mr. Stephen Harding Terry occurred on December 15 at Upcott, Seaton, Devon,' after a brief illness. The deceased gentleman, who was 71 years of age, received his scientific education at King’s College, London, and from 1872 until 1875 served a pupilage with Messrs. Aveling and Porter, of Rochester. Later he was engaged with Messrs. Clayton and Shuttleworth, of Lincoln, with which firm he gained experience in drawing office and field work. At the beginning of the year 1880, Mr. Terry commenced work with the Local Government Board as an Assistant Engineering Inspector, and in 1884 was promoted to the rank of Inspector, a position which he held for five years. During these years he got out type drawings for standard sewerage and water supply arrangements, and reported on every kind of work carried out by the local authorities under the Public Health Act. At the conclusion of this period he became a managing partner in the firm of Messrs. King, Masterman and Terry, having large works situated in Staffordshire and engaged in the construction of large steam and hydraulic cranes, colliery winding and pumping engines, waterworks requirements, and petroleum storage tanks. The firm provided steam cranes for the Belfast Harbour Commission and the Belgian State Railways, as well as gas and water supply plant at Audley. Further, an electric light Station at Woking was equipped by them. For some 20 years Mr. Terry practised as a consulting engineer, advising on work in connection with gas, water, and heating, forced draught and ventilation of ships, petroleum storage and refuse destruction. In conjunction with Sir Fortescue Flannery, he devised and patented the universally adopted system of. petroleum ship ^ventilation. A member of the Institution of Civil Engineers, the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and the Institution of Marine Engineers, Mr. Terry contributed many papers to different societies and numerous letters to this journal."