Stella North Power Station


Stella North power station near Lemington, Newcastle upon Tyne
One of a pair of coal-fired power stations built on either side of the River Tyne.
Stella North had a design similar to Stella South but had smaller capacity, 240 MW. It was situated on the site of the former Lemington Hall.
Both of the stations were designed by Newcastle upon Tyne-based architects L. J. Couves and Partners
1951 Construction began. The Cleveland Bridge Company constructed the steel frames for the stations' main buildings, including their turbine halls, boiler houses, workshops and stores buildings. Various other companies were contracted for the construction of other parts of the station. Sir Robert McAlpine and Sons were contracted for site clearance, provision of the foundations for the main and ancillary buildings, as well as the diversion of streams and sewers. Davenport Engineering Co. were responsible for the construction of the North station's cooling towers, as well as the stations' ancillary buildings. P. C. Richardson and Co. built the stations' brick chimneys. Aiton and Co. installed the stations' low-pressure piping equipment. Underwater electrical work was carried out by British Royal Navy frogman Lionel "Buster" Crabb, chosen for the dangerous job because he wore a rubber diving suit at a time when most divers used canvas.
All of the boilers were suspended from the boiler houses' steel frames, and were made by Clarke Chapman Group Ltd. Each boiler powered a turbo generator, made by Parsons of Newcastle upon Tyne, generating 60 MW. The stations' switchgear was manufactured by A. Reyrolle & Company.
1954 The first generating sets of the stations became operational on 20 December 1954.
1956 All four of the North station's units had been commissioned
1957 All five of the South station's units generated electricity.
After their closure in 1991, they were demolished in stages between 1992 and 1997.
See Also
Sources of Information
- [1] Everything explained
