Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,124 pages of information and 233,665 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Bitschwiller, France
In 1795 Henri Stehelin (1774-1842) started to acquire forges and mines in the valleys of Saint-Amarin and Masevaux.
In December 1830, with his nephew Henri Huber (1806-1848) and his cousin Charles Stehelin (1805-1848), they founded Stehelin & Huber to develop the foundry of Bitschwiller-lès-Thann, established in 1827.
They hired a British mechanical engineer, David Lloyd (b.1797), making it possible to rapidly diversify their range of products, initially waterwheels, then steam engines and boilers. Henri Stehelin retired in 1832. Edouard (1809-1904), mining engineer, brother of Charles, joined the company in May 1837.
In 1839 the company supplied a locomotive for the Mulhouse-Thann railway, and two locomotives for the Strasbourg-Basel Rly. In 1840 the Paris-Orleans ordered six locomotives.
David Lloyd left the company in 1839.
The lowering of customs duties in March 1837 from 30 to 15% made imported British locomotives cheaper than the home produced machines. Further, Stehelin & Huber machines proved unreliable and required heavy repairs. Locomotive manufacture was discontinued, but other railway equipment was produced.
The company name became Charles & Edouard Stehelin (1843-1849), Stehelin & Cie (1850-1872), and Bitschwiller Construction Company Company (1872-1900).
The above information is condensed from 'Chroniques ferroviaires d’Alsace (1839-2011)' .