Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,439 pages of information and 211,690 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Stanley Smith Cook

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
1947.
1952.

Stanley Smith Cook (1875-1952) of Parsons Marine Steam Turbine Co


1947 Bio Note. [1]

Mr. COOK was educated at the King's School, Canterbury, and at St. John's College, Cambridge; he graduated in 1896 as Seventh Wrangler, and obtained First Class Honours in the Mechanical Sciences Tripos of 1897.

Mr. Cook received his practical training with C. A. Parsons and Company from 1898 to 1900, and in 1903 joined the Parsons Marine Steam Turbine Company, continuing with that firm until the present time. He was associated with Sir Charles Parsons in various researches and in the development of the marine steam turbine and mechanical gearing, and was appointed technical manager of the firm in 1910 and a director in 1930.

Mr. Cook has written numerous papers on steam turbines and their accessories, propellers and mechanical gearing, and he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1928. He is a member of Council and of Technical Consultative Committee of Pametrada, and is a member of the Research Board of B.S.R.A.


1952 Obituary [2]

It is with regret that we record the death of Mr. Stanley Smith Cook, which occurred at his home in Newcastle upon Tyne on May 21st at the age of seventy-seven, after a short illness.

Mr. Cook, who was a director of Parsons Marine Steam Turbine Company, Ltd., was born in 1875, and was educated at King's School, Canterbury, from where he went to St. John's College, Cambridge University. He graduated in 1896 as Seventh Wrangler in the Mathematical Tripos, and in the following year obtained first-class honours in the Mechanical Sciences Tripos.

After spending a short time as a tutor under Professor Ewing at the Engineering Laboratory, Cambridge, Mr. Cook joined the firm of C. A. Parsons and Co., Ltd., to obtain practical training and experience, and carried out experimental work on electrical generating plant.

In 1903, he went to Parsons Marine Steam Turbine Company, Ltd., where he was associated with Sir Charles Parsons in research work connected with the development of the marine steam turbine, mechanical gearing and propellers.

Mr. Cook, who became technical manager of the company in 1910, was appointed a director twenty years later, and retained his seat on the board after his retirement in 1948 until his death.

Mr. Cook was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1928, and was elected a Fellow of the North-East Coast Institution of Engineers and Shipbuilders in 1933 ; he was also a member of the Institution of Naval Architects, and of the Institute of Marine Engineers. In addition, he was a member of the various technical committees of Pametrada, and for some years represented the North-East Coast Institution of Engineers and Shipbuilders on the research board of B.S.R.A.

Many papers have been written by Mr. Cook, in collaboration with Sir Charles Parsons and Mr. R. J. Walker, on steam turbines, mechanical gearing and propellers. He was awarded the Denny Gold Medal by the Institute of Marine Engineers in 1938, in which year he delivered the Parsons Memorial Lecture. Ten years later, in the year of his retirement, he gave the Andrew Laing Lecture.


1953 Obituary [3]

STANLEY SMITH COOK, B.A., F.R.S., had a long and distinguished career in the service of the Parsons Marine Steam Turbine Company, Ltd., with which firm he was connected for the whole of his professional life.

He was educated at King's School, Canterbury, and at St. John's College, Cambridge, where he graduated B.A. in 1896 as seventh wrangler, and he obtained first-class honours in the Mechanical Sciences Tripos of 1897. He received his practical training with C. A. Parsons and Company from 1898 to 1901, and during part of this period he acted as research assistant under Dr. Stoney, F.R.S.

He joined the Parsons Marine Steam Turbine Company in 1903 as an assistant designer and, after holding this position for seven years, was appointed technical manager of the firm, with the charge of design and the research departments. He was closely associated with Sir Charles Parsons in the development of the marine steam turbine and mechanical gearing, in connexion IY1 G IY1 with which he wrote a number of papers. He became a director in 1927.

Two lectures with which he was concerned were published in the PROCEEDINGS: "Sir Charles Parsons and Marine Propulsion" (Parsons Memorial Lecture, 1938) and "Steam and Gas Turbines for Marine Propulsion", a Centenary Lecture by T. W. F. Brown, S. S. Cook, and F. W. Gardner (1947).

Mr. Cook was elected a Member of the Institution in 1939 and was also a Member of the Institution of Naval Architects. He was elected a Fellow of The Royal Society in 1928. In addition he served on the technical consultative committee of Pametrada.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information