Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,344 pages of information and 230,027 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
One of the Liverpool Docks
Designed by Jesse Hartley it opened on 4 August 1848.
The dock is the only one in Liverpool which was built inland, all the others being built out from the foreshore. The original quay warehouses are of a similar design to those at Albert Dock and are grade II* listed buildings.
On the north side of the dock the former tobacco and rum warehouse has recently been converted into the Titanic Hotel, without spoiling the character of the area. The original warehouse was mirrored by another on the south side, which has survived, albeit somewhat rebuilt and now out of use. However, part of the south side of the dock was filled in to accommodate the massive 'New Tobacco Warehouse', currently derelict.
The North and South Warehouses each had a small group of buildings housing steam-driven hydraulic pumping machinery, boilers, chimney and hydraulic accumulator tower. That for the N. Warehouse survives alongside the Titanic Hotel.