Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,419 pages of information and 211,648 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Stanislaw Jan Okolski (1875-1935)
1935 Obituary 
STANISLAW JAN OKOLSKI took a leading part in Polish industrial affairs, and was for many years vice-president of the Union of Polish Metal Manufacturers.
He was born in Warsaw in 1875 and received his technical education in the Government Technical High School and in the St. Petersburg Practical Technological Institute, graduating in 1897. He then worked for a year as engineer in the bridge-building department of Messrs. K. Rudzki and Company, Ltd.
From 1898 to 1915 he lectured on mechanical engineering subjects in technical institutes in Darmstadt, Germany, and in Warsaw. After a further two years' experience in the drawing office of a firm of machine tool manufacturers, he went into business on his own account as a consulting engineer in Warsaw, and a few months later became a partner and director in the Warsaw firm of Stanislaw Patschke and Company, engineers and contractors.
In 1912 he was appointed managing director of the engineering works of Bracia Geisler, Okolski i Patschke, Ltd., Warsaw, and held this position until 1915 when he became organizer and managing director of a shell factory in Kiev.
When Poland regained her independence in 1919 he was appointed managing director of the Union of Polish Metal Manufacturers; he became vice-president in 1926, and held this position until his death, which occurred on 4th February 1935.
He was a member of a large number of committees dealing with imports and commercial treaties in the Polish Ministry of Industry and Commerce and for six years was technical expert and employers' delegate for the International Labour Conferences in Geneva. He also contributed articles on mechanical subjects to the Polish technical press. In 1930 he was made a Commander of the Order of Polonia Restituta.
He was elected to Membership of the Institution in 1909.