Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,770 pages of information and 211,899 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Mason's Yard, Duke St, St James's, London SW
1888 The St. James' and Pall Mall Electric Light Company was incorporated as a public company in response to dissatisfaction with the service provided by the Grosvenor Gallery. Their area consisted of 2 parts - south of Piccadilly there were clubs and other premises requiring lighting, to the north the area was inhabited by working people who would require motive power. The company provided direct current on the 3 wire system which could be worked without batteries but they intended to use 35,000 storage batteries.
1891 Generated electricity at Mason's Yard, St. James, using a 2000hp generator; distributed it at 200V using the d.c. system without accumulators
1892 were generating using the 3-wire system.
1893 Lost a legal case that the company was infringing the patent of Dr John Hopkinson concerning the 3-wire system, owned by the Westminster Electric Co; the injunction was suspended for 6 months in order to avoid inconveniencing the users
By 1896 was a public company
1912 The loss of revenue due to the use of metallic filaments had been recovered. The Mason's yard generating plant had been removed and in its place there was a transformer (and a large storage battery) which reduced the voltage of the current brought in from Grove Road. In view of the good results a similar change would be made at the Carnaby St plant. The Central Electric Supply Co would instal an extra 3000kW generator at Grove Road in order to supply this company
1913 Six London companies placed a large advert about potential uses of electricity in the home and office - in the drawing room, in the dining room, in the bedroom, for cooking and for vacuum cleaning
1920 One of 9 London electricity supply companies who formed London Electricity Joint Committee (1920) in opposition to the schemes proposed by the Electricity Commissioners for London
1923 Linked their mains to the Metropolitan, Kensington and Notting Hill companies. Carnaby St was no longer used as a generating station. Began upgrading the supply voltage to customers from 110-220v to 220-440v