Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,953 pages of information and 210,198 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
ROYAL AERO CLUB SPECIAL CERTIFICATE.
(Under the rules of the Federation Aeronautique Internationale.) Published 11th November 1911
The Royal Aero Club of the United Kingdom will grant a Special Certificate to aviators who have passed the following tests:—
The gold medal of the Aero Club, in recognition of his recent flight in a 40-mile wind at Blackpool, was presented to Hubert Latham at an informal luncheon at the Royal Automobile Club on Wednesday last, the 3rd inst. Mr. Roger W. Wallace, Chairman of the Aero Club, made the presentation, and Mr. Latham, in a brief speech, expressed his gratification at the honour paid to M. Levavasseur, as the designer of the machine, and to himself. 
1. Samuel Cody (Cody biplane). Cross-country course: Laffan's Plain to Shrewton, Wilts, and back. Announced 16th December 1911.
2. James Valentine (Bristol monoplane). Cross-country course: Salisbury to Laffan's Plain and back. Announced 16th December 1911.
3. J. D. H. Fulton, Captain. R.F.A. (Bristol biplane). Cross-country course, Salisbury to Laffan's Plain and back. Announced 16th December 1911.
4. Geoffrey de Havilland (Factory Biplane, Farnborough). Course: Farnborough to Shrewton and back. Announced 13th January 1912
5. Alan Geoffrey Fox, Lieutenant. R.F.C. (Bristol biplane). Cross-country course: Lark Hill to Cheltenham and back. Announced 20th July 1912.
6. Patrick Hamilton, Captain. (Deperdussin Monoplane). Cross-country course: Lark Hill to Weymouth and back. Announced 27th July 1912
7. H. R. Cook, Lieutenant Colonel. R.F.C. Announced 7th September 1912
8. Sydney Pickles, Cross Country Course: Hendon to Brighton and back (Caudron biplane). Announced 5th July 1913
9. Reginald Cholmondeley, Lieutenant. (R.F.C.) (Henry Farman Biplane), cross-country course: Netheravon to Chichester. Announced 6th September 1913