Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,980 pages of information and 229,144 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Crosses the River Ouse berween Lewes and Newhaven in East Sussex.
Now used by walkers and authorised light traffic.
Designed in 1878 by Henry E. Wallis of Westminster, and constructed by Shaw & Co. Opened in 1880.
The tender obtained by H. E. Wallis, from 'a firm in Staffordshire', was for a bridge capable of carrying traction engines up to 20 tons.
The bridge had been scheduled for scrapping and replacement, but fortunately campaigning resulted in it being saved and restored, the work being completed in 2010. The extensive renovation work included renewal of the turntable, new castings and other parts being made by Fowler and Holden of Grimsby. Video of production of new turntable castings here.