Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,191 pages of information and 209,712 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
One of 2 regional electricity boards in Scotland which generated, transmitted and distributed electricity to customers.
1954 The South of Scotland Electricity Board (SSEB) was formed as a result of the Electricity Reorganisation (Scotland) Act 1954.
On 1 April 1955, South West Scotland Electricity Board and South East Scotland Electricity Board were merged into the South of Scotland Electricity Board. SSEB was one of two major electricity generation and transmission companies in Scotland, the other being North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board (now SSE plc).
The SSEB generated, transmitted and distributed electricity throughout the south of Scotland, including the former regions of Strathclyde, Lothian, Fife, Central, Borders, and Dumfries and Galloway and a few towns in northern England.
1990 The nuclear assets were transferred to Scottish Nuclear.
1991 The remainder of the SSEB assets were privatised as Scottish Power.