Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,963 pages of information and 228,875 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1828 An iron suspension bridge, designed by George Leather, was built as part of the new turnpike road by-passing the centre of Leeds, to cross the river Aire at Hunslet. This was the second example of his "bow and string" suspension bridge, first used in the design of the Monk Bridge. The arch was of cast iron, made in 6 pieces.
By the 1890s, the bridge could no longer cope with the volume of traffic crossing the river, so the original bridge was replaced by a lattice girder bridge designed by Thomas Hewson, the City Engineer. The bridge had a span of 146ft and was 50ft wide.
1992 Hewson's bridge was replaced by the Inner Ring Road Bridge, which was constructed alongside.