Smiths Group plc is a British multinational diversified engineering company headquartered in London, United Kingdom. It has operations in over 50 countries and employs around 23,550 staff.
2002 Buy-out of the air movement and cable management divisions to form Volution.
2012 Smiths Group has five divisions.
- Smiths Detection is the world's largest manufacturer of sensors for the detection of explosives, weapons, chemical agents, biohazards, narcotics and contraband.
- John Crane is a major manufacturer of seals and associated products for the process industries.
- Smiths Medical is a major supplier of medical devices and equipment.
- Smiths Interconnect is a major manufacturer of electronic and radio frequency components
- Flex-Tek is a major supplier of components to heat and move fluids and gases.
Smiths Group is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index.
2015 Revenue £2.9bn. Employs 23,250 persons worldwide in five divisions as follows - John Crane 6,950; Smiths Medical 7,950; Smiths Detection 2,150; Smiths Interconnect 3,850; Flex-Tek 2,050; Smiths Business Information Services 250; Corporate 50. 
Sources of Information
- The Times Sept. 25, 2003
- 2015 Annual Report p146