Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,375 pages of information and 216,919 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Smith and Coventry of Gresley Ironworks, Ordsall Lane, Salford, Manchester, were makers of machine tools and twist drills. They established a second factory in Timperley, Cheshire, and later relocated there.
Early 1850s Mr William Ford Smith went into business for himself at the Bonding Warehouse, Chapel Street, Salford.
A year later he was joined by Mr Arthur Coventry
1859 New works, purpose designed by Mr Ford Smith at Ordsal Lane, Salford
A Smith & Coventry milling machine in the USA was featured in the American magazine 'Machinery' in 1896. The author described it as the 'The earliest machine of the well-known "Knee" type which I have found' and dated it at 'about 1860'. It was still doing fairly heavy work.
1894 Antwerp Exhibition. Display of machine tools including a horizontal and vertical drilling machine. 
1894 Antwerp Exhibition. Awarded Diploma of Honour for Machinery and Machine Tools. 
1900 Bevel Gear Planer. Article and illustration in The Engineer. Also Horizontal boring mill, vertical milling machine, Universal milling machine and a radial drilling machine shown at the 1900 Paris Exhibition. 
1911 Robey-Smith Automatic Bevel-gear Planer
1919 Advert for Novo high-speed twist drills. 
1920 September. Exhibited at the Machine Tool and Engineering Exhibition at Olympia with a Spiral Bevel Gear Planer and a sensitive drilling machine. 
1927 Salford premises advertised for sale due to the firm removing to their works in Timperley, Cheshire
1929 OLD ESTABLISHED MACHINE TOOL BUSINESS CHANGES HANDS. Messrs. John Hetherington and Sons, Limited have purchased the goodwill, including drawings and patterns so far as relates to machine tools, excepting Vertical and Duplex Key seating Machines of the well-known Machine Tool manufacturing firm, Messrs. Smith and Coventry Limited, which was originally established in Ordsall Lane, Salford in about 1859 and has been carried on lately at Timperley. Messrs. Hetherington intend to run the Smith and Coventry business in conjunction with their existing machine tool manufacture at their Works in Pollard Street, Manchester. Under normal conditions Messrs. Smith and Coventry employed about 300 hands at their works in Salford and as Messrs. Hetheringtons have recently enlarged and modernized their own machine tool works they have every facility and accommodation for dealing with the increased business which will follow as result of their recent acquisition. They are prepared to supply any spare parts - for to duplicate in their entirety machines purchased the past from Messrs. Smith and Coventry