Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,971 pages of information and 229,026 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Abbey Works, Weedon Road, Northampton and Battersea, London, S.W.8.
1760 Company established previous to this by John Smith (records go back no further).
By 1878 Messrs. Archibald Smith and Co., hydraulic and general engineers, were in Leicester Square, London.
1880 A new factory was built at Battersea to meet the expansion of the business, and the firm's name was altered to Archibald Smith and Stevens.
The firm began to concentrated on making lifts. Initially hand or belt or hydraulically operated.
1889 Charles George Major became a partner.
Started to use electricity to power the lifts.
1909 Due to further expansion of the business, it was decided to convert it into a private limited company under the name of Smith, Major and Stevens, Ltd., with Charles George Major as chairman. The works were moved to Northampton.
1909 Incorporated as a limited company.
1914 Lift engineers. 
1930 Amalgamated with the Express Lift Co