Skeldergate Bridge links the York Castle area to Bishophill. It was designed in a Gothic Revival style by civil engineer George Gordon Page, and built between 1878 and 1881.
The small arch at the east end has an opening portion, powered by machinery in the Motor House, which also served as a toll house and accommodation for the toll keeper and his family. The bridge opened to admit tall masted ships to the quays on either side of the river between Skeldergate and Ouse Bridges. Skeldergate Bridge was formally declared free of tolls on 1 April 1914. Together with the attached tollhouse, it is a Grade II listed building