Sir James Farmer, Norton and Co. of Adelphi Street, Salford. The premises included the former Adelphi Iron Works, Salford. Maker of linoleum machinery
1852 Company founded as James Farmer and Sons.
1900 Numerous types of machines and vessels being produced for the textile finishing trades 
By 1917 William John Norton was MD
1922 Private company.
1961 Manufacturers of textile bleaching, dyeing and finishing machinery; bar and tube machinery; wire drawing machinery and rolling mills. 680 employees. 
Works buildings were located on both sides of Adelphi Street, between the Brewery Tavern and what is now the Mechanical Engineering Dept building of the University of Salford
The Salford works has been completely demolished, and the land is used as a car park (2011). Narrow gauge railway tracks are still present in the surviving floor