Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 125,709 pages of information and 196,433 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Silcoms Precision Tool and Automation Unit Specialists.
Proprietors: Bolton Engineering Co.
1939 Founded as BY & J. Silcoms in a workshop at Bury Road, Bolton. The company started manufacturing small precision press tools and moulds for rubber, glass and soap.
1951 The company was established as Bolton Engineering Co and moved into larger premises - The Victoria Works, Piggott Street, Farnworth, a former cotton mill.
The production engineering department saw a steady increase in the demand for precision machined parts for gas turbine engines and aircraft components. Customers included Rolls Royce, Westland Aircraft, Bristol Aircraft, Joseph Lucas, De Havilland, and Armstrong Siddely.
March 1964 Hartcliffe Chains - a local chain manufacturer - was closed and part of its operation moved its parent company to Letchworth. Silcoms bought an amount of plant from the closed factory and took twelve Hartcliffe employees to start the Chain Division.
The Chain Division have since expanded, and have for many years manufactured chain, shafts and sprockets for many industrial sectors.
Current Company website: http://www.silcoms.com/