Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 126,749 pages of information and 199,760 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Sidney Robert Raffety (1883-1965)
1965 Obituary 
"WE regret to record the death of MR. S. R. RAFFETY on August 11. His professional career was centred on water supply, and he was, as a consultant, responsible for the design and construction of many water supply schemes; he was also on the boards of various water companies.
Mr. Raffety was born in High Wycombe in 1883. After receiving his general education at the Royal Grammar School, High Wycombe he was articled to the Borough Engineer of Reading. He became resident engineer on new work for the Gosport Waterworks Co and then for Henry Rofe and Son at Holyhead and Southport. In 1912 he became chief assistant, and in 1921 a partner with Mr. Henry J. Rofe. On the latter's retirement he took over the practice under the title of Rofe and Raffety, the present title of the firm. He served in the Royal Engineers in the 1914-18 war and attained the rank of major.
The more important schemes for water supply for which Mr. Raffety was responsible have included the Anglesey County Water Works, works for the North Devon, East Devon and South Cardigan Water Boards, and, jointly, the River Dove Water Board. The Clatworthy dam and reservoir scheme for Taunton Corporation was another of his responsibilities. He advised many other local authorities. He served as chairman of the Sutton Water Co from 1957 and was also director of the South Oxfordshire Water Co, the Amersham Water Co, and the Portsmouth Water Co. He was a member of the panel of civil engineers constituted under the Reservoirs (Safety Provisions) Act 1930, a past president and honorary member of the Institution of Water Engineers, and a member of the Association of Consulting Engineers, of the "Civils", of the "Mechanicals", and of the American Waterworks Association. He was awarded the C.B.E. in 1963 in recognition of his services to water supply."