of Sylvan Works, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire
- 1894 The factory was founded by William Shaw and William Copestake and given the company name of Shaw and Copestake. William Copestake left the partnership half way through the first year.
- In 1895, Mr Richard Hull became William Shaw's partner in the business. Their partnership grew in strength and over the forty years of producing decorative wares (and what was known as 'fancies'), Richard Hull was to have a major influence, including the development of the export side which was to lead the way for the Company's future success.
- 1935 Richard Hull Junior joined the company as the new partner, when Richard Hull Senior died. With the input of Richard Hull Junior and William Shaw, the business continued strongly.
- In 1938, the Thomas Lawrence Falcon Pottery was acquired, through a connection between the daughter and her marriage to Richard Hull. These two factories operated independently of each other for nineteen years until a suitable factory was built on land opposite the old Shaw and Copstake factory, and the new premises brought the gradual merger of the two businesses.
- 1947 Advert in British Industries Fair Catalogue as Exhibiting Member of the British Pottery Manufacturers' Federation of Federation House, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. Composite Exhibit. (Pottery and Glassware Section - Olympia, Ground Floor, Stand No. A.1218) 
- By 1964, the Falcon Mark ceased.
- 1982 Following the voluntary liquidation of Shaw and Copestake, the premises and equipment were purchased by the North Midlands Co-Operative Society and from there leased to a workers co-operative society known as Longton Ceramics. The Sylvan works ceased trading in 1982 and all the records relating to styles and dates of production etc, were destroyed.
-  World Collectors Website
Sources of Information