Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,095 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Manchester, steam locomotive makers and makers of textile machinery and machine tools.
1843 The partnership of Sharp, Roberts and Co was dissolved. John Sharp and Thomas Beatt Sharp carried on their part of the business at the Atlas Works in Oxford street and Great Bridgewater street as Sharp Brothers. Richard Roberts carried on business at the Faulkner street Works. 
Charles Beyer was appointed chief engineer in Roberts's place.
1850 July. John Sharp and John Robinson resign from the partnership leaving Thomas Beatt Sharp in sole ownership 
c1850 Description of the works. See Sharp Brothers and Co: 1850 Description
1851 Award at the 1851 Great Exhibition for engineers' machine tools, and throstle. See details at 1851 Great Exhibition: Reports of the Juries: Class VI.
There is a description of the works of Sharp Brothers and Co in the 1853 Directory of Manchester and Salford pages xxxiii.
Adshead's 1851 Maps of Manchester shows four separate groups of buildings in close proximity: the largest, marked Atlas Works, was sandwiched between Great Bridgewater Street (south side) and the Rochdale Canal, the east end being on Oxford Street; on the opposite side of Great Bridgewater Street was their next largest building, identified as 'Sharp Brothers & Co's Forge & Iron Warehouse'; immediately to the east of this building, but separated by a branch of the Manchester and Salford Junction Canal, was 'Sharp Brothers & Co's Machine Works', its eastern end being on Oxford Street, but displaced from the street corner by the presence of the 'Concert Inn'; another small 'Machine Works' was at the junction of Great Bridgewater Street and Chepstow Street, its south wall facing the Peveril of the Peak, while its yard to the north was on the Manchester and Salford Junction Canal. So, the premises were well-served by canals and roads, but unfortunately for a locomotive builder, there was no railway connection.