Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 139,062 pages of information and 225,328 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 49 Queen Street, Edinburgh
1905 The company was registered on June 14th, to establish services of motor omnibuses in Edinburgh and other places throughout Scotland. 
From 1913 to 1924 the company built nearly 100 Lothians.
1914 Automobile engineers and repairers. Specialities: general motor car and accessories (dealers and repairers); motor bus and charabanc proprietors; agents for Maudslay, Minerva, Phoenix and Sizaire-Naudin cars and Lacre commercial vehicles. Employees 300. 
1920s Acquired Cottin and Desgouttes
1929 New company incorporated to acquire a company of the same name.
1930 Its operations were re-financed through share subscription . Shareholdings by LMS and LNER with which close working relations had been agreed.
SMT grew partly through the acquisition of smaller companies.
Eventually the company controlled most of the public-service passenger-carrying industry in Scotland south of Inverness.
Operations were decentralised to local areas, such as Central SMT in Lanarkshire (with red buses) and Western SMT (in south-west Scotland), whilst the east of Scotland services remained as SMT until the early 1960s
1949 The bus operations were nationalised by the Attlee government, being acquired by the British Transport Commission. The company continued the rest of its business, operating in the fields of vehicle sales and service as well as a finance company.
Within Sears Holdings, SMT were vehicle dealers in Scotland and Shaw and Kilburn dealers in England
Early 1960s: the title "Eastern Scottish" was adopted in the east of Scotland (operating green buses). The legal name of Eastern Scottish was changed to Scottish Omnibuses Ltd.
1963 Following the demise of the British Transport Commission, the SMT bus operations became part of the state-owned Scottish Bus Group.
1969 Scottish Bus Group became the Scottish Transport Group following the addition of ferry services.
1985 The Transport Act 1985 led to the deregulation of bus services across the UK, followed by privatisation of the Scottish Transport Group subsidiaries.
1991 Western Scottish (formerly Western SMT) was sold to its local management in 1991, and was bought out by the Stagecoach Group in 1994, which renamed it Stagecoach West Scotland.
Following privatisation, Eastern Scottish briefly reverted to its former name SMT. It was bought out by the First Group, who re-branded it First Edinburgh, and introduced the First Group corporate pink, purple and white livery to replace the former green.