Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,702 pages of information and 227,385 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Scottish Commercial Cars of Duke Street, Glasgow was a producer of commercial vehicles from 1915 to 1926 under the Caledon name
1900s Scottish Commercial Cars Ltd were distributors for Commercial Cars Ltd
Sam Gilchrist joined the company as an engineer-designer and salesman where he stayed until the War Department commandeered Commercial Car's Luton factory at the outbreak of war in 1914.
WWI Harry Tainsh and Edmund Tainsh of Scottish Commercial Cars, with some involvement from Gilchrist, designed a four-ton commercial vehicle that was to be sold as the Caledon. Around 400 were built during the war, the majority being supplied to civilian customers.
1919 The company was renamed Caledon Motors
Gilchrist left Scottish Commercial Cars to become Managing Director of General Motors (Glasgow) Ltd at 225 Duke Street.
He stayed until September 1920 when he left to realise his ambition to design and build his own car as the Gilchrest Car Co.
1915 First vehicle was produced and a range of 3, 3.5 and 4 ton chassis followed. By 1918 they had built 280 of these and 76 had been supplied to the Ministry of Munitions.
The company was renamed Caledon Motors and produced a range from 30 cwt to 7 ton. They made their own engines.
1922 Financial difficulties.
1926 The business was sold to Richard Garrett and Sons.
1915 Caledon started production of buses.
After the war the company was well known as Caledon Motors.
1919 the range was widened and they designed and built their own sleeve-valve engines.
Total bus production from Caledon was around 700.