Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,146 pages of information and 223,038 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of the Phoenix Foundry, in Greasborough Road, Rotherham
An area of land, almost a crescent shape through Masbrough and Ickles, on the edge of the town of Rotherham, became well known in the late 18th / early 19th centuries through its involvement in iron and steel making and there could be found the works of many of the towns iron masters. Situated between the main turnpike road linking Rotherham and Sheffield and the River Don, the Phoenix Works was a leading manufacturer of large iron forgings, made using water powered tilt hammers. It is known that the works made forgings for marine engines, shafts for use in paddle steamers and crank axles etc.
1832 William Owen (1810-1881) was taken into the partnership - Sandford, Owen and Yates
1838 Split of the partnership; Sandford and Owen took the Phoenix Works whilst Yates set up in a separate business at the Rotherham Foundry which later became Yates, Haywood and Co and The Rotherham Foundry Co.