Samuel Williams and Sons
of Dagenham Dock, Essex, lighterage company, barge and wharf owners
Later worked closely with Ford
1855 Business established by Samuel Williams
1887 Purchased 30 acres of land at Dagenham Breach. This was new land created when part of the lake was filled in.
By 1891 the company had built a deep-water timber dock. They also built a railway connected to the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway line and two new jetties that created a tidal quay.
1890 Messrs. Samuel Williams and Sons, of 130, Belvedere-road, Lambeth, applied to the Conservators of the River Thames for license to place in the River Thames, off their property at Dagenham, a vessel fitted with machinery for the purpose of unloading and discharging steam colliers and other vessels trading to and from the Port of London.
1897 Company incorporated
Further land acquired
1924 Sold 200 acres to Ford for their new factory
1936 Public company of the same name incorporated
1967 Samuel Williams and Sons was still in business at Dagenham Dock.
Sources of Information
- London Gazette 20 June 1890
- The Times Oct. 15, 1936
- The Times July 18, 1956
- The Times June 20, 1963
- Oct. 31, 1962
- A Company's Story in its setting - Samuel Williams and Sons 1855-1955