Samuel Utley (1836-1900)
1900 Obituary 
SAMUEL UTLEY, born on the 27th May, 1836, was the son of Mr. Jonathan Utley, who conducted a private educational establishment at Sowerby Bridge, in Yorkshire, where he was also postmaster and registrar.
After being employed for two years in an Engineering Tool Works, the subject of this notice served a pupilage to Mr. Richard Carter, of Halifax, from 1854 to 1857, during which time he was occupied on the construction of road-sewers, railway, and other works.
From 1857 to 1859 he was engaged on the Bradford Waterworks as Engineer to the contractors for 6 miles of tunnel, 5 miles of conduit, including intercepting weirs, aqueducts, 1 mile of inverted siphons, a compensation reservoir covering 100 acres, and a service-reservoir.
In 1859 he was entrusted by the same firm with the charge of the construction of about 200 miles of the Great Indian Peninsula Railway; and on the completion of that contract in 1863 he returned to Halifax, where he entered into partnership with Mr. G. W. Stevenson. Together they prepared Parliamentary plans and sections, and the designs of the bridges, viaducts and tunnels for the Halifax and Ovenden Junction Railway, and were also engaged in connection with the Ripon Corporation Waterworks and the Halifax Gasworks.
The partnership with Mr. Stevenson was dissolved in 1865, when Mr. Utley was joined by Colonel Gray, with whom his association continued until 1897, since when the firm has been known as Utley, Hebblethwaite and Utley. Amongst other works Mr. Utley laid out systems of sewerage for the districts of Sowerby Bridge, Sowerby and Stainland; as Engineer to the Luddendon Local Board he designed and superintended the erection of a skew-bridge over the River Calder and other works; and, in conjunction with Messrs. John Fraser and Sons, he acted as Engineer to the Halifax High-level and North and South Junction Railways.
Mr. Utley died at his residence, Norfolk Place, Halifax, on the 7th January, 1900.
He was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 1st March, 1864, was subsequently placed in the class of Associate Members, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 14th February, 1888.