Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,887 pages of information and 225,312 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Samuel Radford Ltd, manufacturer of bone china, of High St, Fenton
Originally Samuel Radford produced china at Longton in partnership with Joseph Amison
1885 Moved to High St, Fenton following the dissolution of the partnership
Samuel Radford’s son, William, took on the business. Samuel Radford was known for elaborately shaped and extravagantly decorated bone china teaware and tableware using traditional patterns; the company was an important exporter to North America, the Dominions, and European countries. The business also produced ornamental china and giftware
1931 The business was sold to Colonel Norman W. Elliott.
WWII The company closed when the firm was concentrated with T. G. Green and Co Ltd.
1955 Radford’s factory was sold to Mr Stanley Harrison the owner of Coalport China Ltd. A plan for Coalport to occupy the Radford site was later abandoned (but see Coalport China for different view on this).
By 1960 the High St factory had been demolished.