Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,831 pages of information and 228,772 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Samuel George Homfray (1855-1908)
1908 Obituary 
SAMUEL GEORGE HOMFRAY was born at Tredegar, Mon., on 4th July 1855, being the son of the late Captain S. G. Homfray and grandson of Samuel Homfray, who was for thirty years managing partner of Tredegar Iron Works.
He was educated at Cheltenham College, and in 1872 entered the Elswick Works of Sir W. G. Armstrong and Co. as a pupil.
After this training he was appointed in 1879 assistant London and outdoor manager, succeeding in 1896 to the position of London and outdoor manager, and in 1902 he became senior joint manager of the engine works department of the Elswick Works.
He was concerned with many important hydraulic installations and undertakings carried out by the firm with which he was connected, including the swing-bridge over the River Tyne in 1876; the installation of hydraulic machinery on the Manchester Ship Canal, completed in 1894; the Tower Bridge, 1894; Port Talbot Dock, 1899; Surrey Commercial Dock Extension, 1903; Leith Imperial Dock, 1901; Burntisland New Dock, 1901; Grangemouth HOW Dock, 1906; Cardiff, Queen Alexandra Dock, 1907; Avonmouth, Royal Edward Dock, 1908; and many other works at home and abroad.
He took an active interest in Freemasonry, and held at one time and another many important offices. He was a Justice of the Peace for the County of Monmouthshire.
His death took place at his residence in London, after an operation, on 14th October 1908, at the age of fifty-three.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1895; and he was also a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers.
1908 Obituary 
. . . the son of Captain Samuel George Homfray, J.P., of Newport, Mon., grandson of Samuel Homfray, J.P., D.L., for thirty years managing partner of Tredegar Ironworks, and great-grandson of Samuel Homfray, J.P., L.L., of Penydaren, Glamorganshire. The latter, with his two brothers, Jeremiah and Thomas, after migrating from Staffordshire to South Wales, was very largely responsible for the early ironworks in South Wales. . . . He entered the Elswick Works of Sir W. G. Armstrong and Co. in 1872 as a pupil, . . . [more]
1909 Obituary