SS Britannic was the first of three ships to sail with the Britannic name. All were part of the White Star Line.
Britannic was a steamship equipped with sails built in Belfast by Harland and Wolff in 1874.
She was initially to be called Hellenic, but, just prior to her launch, her name was changed to Britannic. Her twin was SS Germanic.
In 1876 she received the Blue Riband, both westbound and eastbound, by averaging almost 16 knots.
Britannic sailed for nearly thirty years, primarily carrying immigrant passengers on the highly trafficked Liverpool to New York route.