Royal Yacht Victoria and Albert
From Graces Guide
1843 The first Royal Yacht Victoria and Albert was launched at Pembroke powered by engines of 430 nominal horse-power by Maudslay, Sons and Field driving paddle-wheels, initially with considerable spread of sail as well.
After about twelve years' service she was retired from royal service and her name was changed to the Osborne (she was broken up in 1868).
1855 The Royal Yacht Victoria and Albert was built at Pembroke Dockyard, constructed of wood, and was propelled by paddle-wheels with machinery made by Messrs. Penn.
1897 A new royal yacht, also Victoria and Albert, was laid down at Pembroke Dockyard towards the end of 1897
1899 Named and launched by H.R.H. the Duchess of York. The vessel was constructed of steel to the design of Sir William White, Director of Naval Construction; engines and boilers were by Messrs. Humphrys and Tennant. After machinery trials the vessel was to be taken to Portsmouth, for decoration and furnishing Messrs. Waring for service in summer 1900.
Sources of Information
- The Engineer 1899/05/12