Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,188 pages of information and 209,710 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Stratford upon Avon
1874 Established to make labels for Queen Victoria's gardens at Sandringham.
1896 John Smith, metal label manufacturers, Rother St, Stratford on Avon
1912 John Smith, manufacturer of imperishable metallic and garden labels to the Imperial Department of Agriculture, Royal Label Factory, Stratford on Avon.
Continued as part of the Ministry of Public Building and Works, supplying up to half of the signposts and fingerposts for counties and town councils in the 1930s
c.1963 The Royal Label Factory moved to Chipping Norton, where it provided a ‘Design & Build’ service for traffic signs and street furniture for construction companies all over the UK as well as for a large number of local authorities, including their core client, Oxfordshire County Council.
1998 became part of Leander Architectural of Buxton. Maker of blue plaques for civic trusts and societies throughout the UK and signs of all kinds for heritage agencies – e.g. the National Trust, Historic Scotland and Cadw-Welsh Monuments - as well as military memorials.