Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 125,735 pages of information and 196,442 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Formerly J. K. Starley and Co
1896 A public company, the Rover Cycle Co, was registered on 13 June, to take over the business of J. K. Starley and Co. Directors are: F. D. Dixon-Hartland, Alfred H. Griffiths, Richard R. Beard and J. K. Starley. The works consisted of three factories and a floor area of more than 40,000 square feet.  
1896 Other records say Harry Smith was MD at this time
Ernest Forrester joined as Chief Tester
1904 Announced details of a small car designed by E. W. Lewis
1905 The company's name was changed in November to the Rover Co.