Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 137,400 pages of information and 221,179 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Rotax, manufacturer of automotive electrical equipment, of Rotax Works, Willesden Junction, London, NW10. Telephone: Willesden 2480 (6 lines). Telegraphic Address: "Rodynalite, 'Phone, London". (1937)
1908 Rotax Motor and Cycle Co, 43 Gt Eastern St, London Wall
1913 April. Advert for car lighting equipment. 
1916 Moved head office to Willesden Junction, London NW
1917 Rotax (Motor Accessories) Ltd was formed by the brothers Eugen and Hermann Aron, with a nominal share capital of £175,000 to carry on business as a manufacturer of, and dealer in, all types of motor goods, including batteries and other electrical items. In 1917, Rotax acquired the business of H. T. Saunders and Co, Birmingham.
1920 Leitner dynamo for motor cars. 
1920 October. Exhibited at the Commercial Motor Exhibition at Olympia with electrical lighting equipment for commercial vehicles. 
1921 Over one-third of the issued capital was acquired by Kynoch. In the same year they amalgamated with Newton Electrical Works, Taunton, a company in which the Aron brothers already had an interest. Lucas's records show that at about this time it was meeting keen competition from Rotax in the supply of electrical equipment for cars. Nobel Industries Ltd, through Kynoch, held a substantial interest in the re-formed Rotax (Motor Accessories) Ltd, and Sir Harry McGowan (later Lord McGowan) joined the Board.
1923 Sir Harry McGowan is understood to have offered the Rotax business to Lucas. There is evidence that in 1923 Lucas and Rotax established some sort of working arrangement.
1925 The Arons suggested that Lucas and Rotax should jointly take over C. A. Vandervell and Co.
1926 Nobel Industries became part of ICI. An offer to C. A. Vandervell and Co was made by Sir Harry McGowan on behalf of Lucas. The offer was accepted for a consideration of £321,745 in cash. Lucas took the view that joint management of C. A. Vandervell and Co by Lucas and Rotax would not be successful and it decided to take over Rotax also. The consideration of £707,217 for the purchase of Rotax was satisfied partly in cash but for the most part by the issue of Lucas £1 Ordinary shares. Lucas decided to concentrate manufacture of equipment for the heavier types of vehicles in C. A. Vandervell and Co and to develop Rotax for the manufacture of equipment for aircraft.
1933 Rotax Ltd was put into voluntary liquidation
1937 British Industries Fair Advert for Electrical Equipment for Modern Aircraft. Also Electrical Tools for Industrial and Garage Equipment: Drills, Polishers, Valve Refacers, Sanders and Grinders, Aircraft Electrical Equipment, Rotary Converters, Car Equipment, etc. (Engineering/Metals/Quarry, Roads and Mining/Transport Section - Stand No. Cb.601) 
1937 Lighting and starting equipment, magnetos and radio equipment. "Rotax" Aviation Equipment. 
1939 See Aircraft Industry Suppliers
Post WWII: Rotax's business declined by 90 percent compared with its wartime activities
1970 Closed the company's second largest factory at Willesden due to lack of orders from new projects for aircraft starters
1971 Became part of Lucas Aerospace when this was established
1978 One of the 2 factories at Hemel Hempstead was closed