Rose and Downs
From Graces Guide
of Old Foundry, Hull
1777 Company began when John Todd established the foundry in Hull. Products at that time included cannons and parts for windmills which were also the company's introduction into the world of oilseed crushing.
Late 18th century: the business was a ship chandlery on a site called the Old Foundry.
The company made cannon which were used at the Battle of Waterloo
As the Port of Hull grew it also became one of the world's largest centres for the crushing of oil bearing seeds and the company became a major supplier to this industry.
By 1820 the company had installed its first hydraulic press for expelling oil from Linseed.
1833/40 Mrs. Christiana Rose inherited ownership of the company. She is said to have been the daughter of one of the original partners, Duncan Campbell.
By 1851 employed 50 men.
1859 Employed James Downs as manager and the business thrived by specialising in machinery for oil crushing.
1855 Christiana Rose, of Hull Old Foundry, was in business as engineers, millwright, steam engine and boiler makers
By 1861 the firm employed 101 men.
1871 James Downs was made a partner in Rose and Downs
1871 Christiana Rose died
Sources of Information
- The Times, Mar 01, 1974
- The Hull Packet and East Riding Times, May 26, 1848
- UK, City and County Directories, 1766 - 1946
- Archives of Rose, Downs and Thompson Ltd. Makers of Oil and Mill machinery, Hull. Hull History Centre.
- Hull organisations