Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,963 pages of information and 228,875 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Robert Patrick Tredennick Logan (1852-1902)
1902 Obituary 
ROBERT PATRICK TREDENNICK LOGAN, born near Bally- Shannon, County Donegal, on the 24th November, 1852, was the eldest son of the late Lieutenant-General Logan, C.B., formerly of the 57th Regiment, “the Die-hards,” a member of a numerous Berwickshire family.
After being educated at Cheltenham College the subject of this notice qualified for admission into the Corps of Royal Engineers, but, losing his left hand a few weeks afterwards, was prevented from adopting the military profession.
It was then determined that he should become a Civil Engineer, and in 1873 he was articled to the late Mr. P. J. Margary, then Engineer of the South Devon and Cornwall Railways, under whom he was employed on the St. Ives branch of the West Cornwall Railway.
From 1877 to 1881 he acted as Resident Engineer on the construction of the Sligo, Leitrim and Northern Counties Railway, holding for part of that time the post of Permanent Way Engineer and Locomotive Engineer.
Mr. Logan next had charge for six years of the construction of the Carrickmacross branch of the Great Northern Railway of Ireland, under Mr. W. H. Mills.
He then began in 1887 a private practice in Dundalk as a Civil Engineer and Architect. In that capacity he prepared plans for the proposed Armagh and Eeady Light Railway, and for numerous works. Although having only the use of his right hand, Mr. Logan was a practical mechanic, had steam workshops on his premises, and an engine which he constructed himself obtained the first medal and diploma of merit at the Irish Artizans’ Exhibition in 1884.
Mr. Logan died at Dundalk on the 26th April, 1902.
He was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 5th February, 1878, was subsequently placed in the class of Associate Members, and was transferred to full Membership on the 22nd April, 1890.