of Eliza Street Ironworks
1853 Robert Hickson started ship building on Queen's Island, Belfast, to use the iron produced by the Eliza Street Ironworks
1853 the Mary Stenhouse, a sailing ship of 1289 tons register, was laid down; she was launched in 1854.
1854 Edward James Harland appointed General Manager of shipyard, with a 250ft vessel laid down at that time
In the next few years Messrs. Hickson built four sailing ships,
two screw steamers, and a tug.
1858 Edward Harland bought the yard and renamed the business Edward James Harland and Company; he also acquired the adjacent Belfast Shipbuilding Co for the building of wooden vessels.
1861 Harland formed a business partnership with Gustav Wilhelm Wolff, his former personal assistant, creating Harland and Wolff
Sources of Information