Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 139,060 pages of information and 225,328 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Richardson Co

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Various members of the Richardson family of Stourbridge were involved in the glass industry for over 100 years. There was no company called Richardson and Co but the glassware business of the Richardsons underwent many changes of name during its life between 1829 and 1950.

1828 Benjamin Richardson joined the Wordsley Flint Glass Works, run by George Wainwright and Charles Wainwright.

1829 He started the firm of Webb and Richardson, with his brother William Haden Richardson, and Thomas Webb, another local glass manufacturer.

1836 Thomas Webb left the company to found a company which later became Thomas Webb and Sons. The third Richardson brother, Jonathan Richardson, then joined the firm.

1841 William Haden Richardson bought the White House Glass works from Thomas Webb.

1842 The company became known as W. H., B. and J. Richardson.

1852 This name was discontinued by 1852.

1853 The company re-opened, carrying only the name of Benjamin Richardson.

1854 A partnership was formed between Benjamin Richardson and Jonathan Richardson, and their nephews Philip Pargeter and William James Hodgetts, and the firm became Hodgetts, Richardson and Pargeter.

1871 Philip Pargeter left and Henry Gething Richardson, son of Benjamin, joined the firm which then became Hodgetts, Richardson and Sons.

1876 William Haden Richardson died aged 91 years.

1881 The company was taken over by Henry Gething Richardson; William James Hodgetts retired from the company which became Henry Gething Richardson[1]

c.1882 Benjamin Richardson retired and died in 1887 at the age of 85.

c.1897, Henry Gething Richardson went into partnership with his sons, Benjamin and William Haden Arthur Richardson, and the firm then became Henry G. Richardson and Sons.

1930 The firm was taken over by Thomas Webb and Sons. According to an Agreement, dated 25th July, the company of Henry G. Richardson and Sons was sold to Webb's Crystal Glass Co on that date. A new private limited company called Henry G. Richardson and Sons Ltd was set up at that time, as a subsidiary of Webbs Crystal.

The new company moved to the Dennis Glass Works, where Webbs continued to produce some of the Richardson patterns and market them under the Richardson name until the early 1960s.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. London Gazette 30 August 1881
  • [1] Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council Website