Richardson, Duck and Co
of Thornaby-on-Tees and Whitby, shipbuilders
1852 South Stockton Iron Ship Building Co was set up to build the first iron steamer on the Tees, the Advance, on the former yard of engine builders Fossick of Stockton. This yard had a large output of tramps.
Two vessels (launched in 1860) were sub-contracted to the former Rake Kimber yard at Middlesbrough.
1859 Took over Rake Kimber's yard at Middlesbrough. About 11 vessels were built at Middlesbrough.
1867 H.G. Spence joined as a partner
1899 See 1899 Shipbuilding Statistics for detail of the tonnage produced.
1900s The yard moved into steel and made a number of tramps, followed by a dozen ships and steamers.
By the end of the 1900s the yard had built five hundred tramps, cargo-liners, tankers, self-trimming colliers, steel lighters and also became licensees for the Isherwood system of longitudinal framing.
1912 The yard became a limited liability company and a further 12 ships were made.
WWI During the War, the yard made a further dozen tramps, eight standard WAR "A" tramps and a standard "AO" tanker.
1919 The yard became a public company.
1922 Industrial action and lack of orders.
1925 The yard struggled on until May 1925 when the Gould Group collapsed.
1933 The yard was demolished.
Sources of Information
- History of Thornaby, by Ottaway and Appleby
- 'The Making of India: The Untold Story of British Enterprise' by Kartar Lalvani, Bloomsbury Publishing, 2016
- L. A. Ritchie, The Shipbuilding Industry: A Guide to Historical Records (1992)
- British Shipbuilding Yards. 3 vols by Norman L. Middlemiss