Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,415 pages of information and 233,868 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Richard Walker and Brother of Bury.
Family connection with Walker, Smith and Co
1835 Partnership change. '... the Partnership between the undersigned, carrying on business at Bury, in the County of Lancaster,, under the firm of Richard Walker and Brothers, was dissolved on the 1st day of January 1829, so far as regards the undersigned Oliver Ormerod Walker, who then retired from the concern, since which time the business has been carried, on under the some firm by the undersigned Richard Walker and John Walker...'
1842 'Partnership dissolved: Richard Walker, sen, John Walker, Richard Walker, jun., John Scholes Walker, Richard Smith, and Richard Hacking, of Bury, Lancashire, machine makers (so far as regards Richard Walker, sen.)'
1846 Partnership change. '...the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, John Walker, Richard Walker the younger, and John Scholes Walker, formerly carrying on business at Bury, in the county of Lancaster, as Ironfounders, under the style or firm of Richard Walker and Brother, was dissolved, by mutual consent, on the 1st day of January 1845, from which day the said business has been carried on by the undersigned Richard Walker the younger, John Scholes Walker, and Richard Hacking, of Bury aforesaid, Ironfounder and Machine Maker...'
1846 Supplied three locomotives (2-2-2) to the East Lancashire Railway
1847-53 Built another twenty locomotives
1854 No new locomotives built after this date. About 26 locomotives built in total.
1862 Supplied two engines of sixty-horse power each, and three fifty-horse Cornish boilers, to the Nuneaton Cotton Spinning and Weaving Co..
1864 Advertisement concerning sale of plant and property at Britannia, near Bacup included a 'COTTON MILL, and Buildings, Engine-house, Chimney, and Engine Bed, and other outbuildings ….. together with the engine and boilers, and the main shafts and gearing, and gas and steam pipes, formerly the occupation of Messrs. James and Robert Munn. ….The Mill is newly erected, and built of stone, and is 127 feet long by 77 feet 3 inches wide. The fifty horse beam engine (McNaught's patent), and the mill gearing, and polished shafting and boilers, are by Messrs. Richard Walker and Brother.'