Richard Trevithick (Senior)
From Graces Guide
Richard Trevithick (1735–1797).
The elder Richard, a practical miner, worked in a number of the copper mines in the extensive Camborne–Illogan–Redruth mining district and rose to become captain (manager) of Wheal Chance, Wheal Treasury, Eastern Stray Park Mine, and the famous Dolcoath Mine.
He was a follower of John Wesley and claimed that JW had stayed at his house
1765 At Dolcoath he constructed the deep adit (drainage tunnel)
1775 Erected a Newcomen pumping engine moving it from Carloose to Dalcoath Mine. The engine was already at least forty years old and had a 45 inch cylinder. He paid £33 to John Harvey and partners to encase the boiler and building the engine house. He purchased other parts from the Coalbrookdale Co and John Jones and Co
1776 Took a cargo of scrap-iron across the Bristol Channel to Neath, reputedly so he could also learn the secrets of casting iron pipes.
1776 Manager at Wheal Chance
1797 August 1st. He died and was buried at Cambourne. He had 'the reputation of being the best informed and most skilful Captain in all the Western Mines'. 
Sources of Information
- Davies Gilbert in a letter to J. S. Enys