Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 126,752 pages of information and 199,760 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Note: This is a sub-section of Richard Trevithick
1797 November 7th. Trevithick married Jane Harvey (1772-1848) of Hayle at St. Erth.
Jane was a daughter of John Harvey, an Ironfounder and formerly a blacksmith from Carnwall Green who formed the local foundry Harveys of Hayle. The company became famous world-wide for building huge stationary 'beam' engines for pumping water, usually from mines, based on Newcomen’s and Watt’s engines. Jane was born at Carnhell, Gwinear, on 25th June 1772, and was aged 25 when they married.
1797 They lived at Moreton House, Redruth for the first nine months of the marriage and then moved to Camborne where they lived for ten years.
1808 Trevithick saw opportunities in London and persuaded his wife and 4 children reluctantly to join him for two and a half years lodging first in Rotherhithe and then in Limehouse.
1851 In the census at Pen Cliff, St Erth there are:
1861 In the census at Foundry Hill, St Erth there are:
Their children were:-
Trevithick's wife, Jane, lived to the age of ninety-six. She died at Pencliffe, Hayle in 1868. She had remained loyal to him during long years of financial difficulty and separation. She had received no money from him during his South American sojourn, during which time she was supported by her brother, Henry Harvey.
Of their six children, Francis Trevithick (1812–1877) became chief mechanical engineer of the London and North Western Railway, and Frederick Henry Trevithick constructed the floating steam bridge between Portsmouth and Gosport in 1864.
Little is known of Richard (1798–1872), John Harvey (1806–1877), Ann, or Elizabeth.