Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,895 pages of information and 228,796 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Richard Gervase Elwes ( -1906)
1907 Obituary 
RICHARD GERVASE ELWES was educated for the engineering profession at King’s College, London, and entered the Public Works Department of India in 1860 as an Assistant Engineer.
After 14 years’ service, he retired on account of ill-health in 1874, with the rank of Executive Engineer, second grade. The works upon which Mr. Elwes was engaged in India comprised sections of the Hindustan and Tibet and the Kooloo and Ladak roads, the Koksur bridge and large bridges on the Grand Trunk road near Umballa, the water supply of Umballa, and the Sirhind canal. He also acted for short periods as an Assistant Secretary and as Secretary for Public Works, Hyderabad.
Between 1877 and 1890, Mr. Elwes engaged in consulting practice in London in partnership with the late Mr. G. Wells Owen, and during this period the firm carriedlout, amongst other works, the Bury and Tothington district railway, the Hounslow line, the Golden Valley railway extension to Hay, the Bridgwater railway and an extension of the Winnipeg waterworks.
In 1893 Mr. Elwes went to Spain on behalf of Messrs. Matheson and Company, in connection with the Zafra-Huelva railway and to take charge of mines, marble quarries and other works; and on his return in the following year he took an office in the city and became interested in mining matters, especially in copper mines, either as consulting engineer or as a director.
He died on the 14th August, 1906.
Mr. Elwes was elected an Associate of The Institution on the 6th May, 1873, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 9th April, 1878.