Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,918 pages of information and 228,821 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
This is a derelict railway swing bridge, an industrial survivor isolated within a new housing development near Oxford Railway Station. It lends historical context to an otherwise bland modernised part of central Oxford.
The bridge was originally built in 1851 to carry the Buckingham Railway's dual tracks to Rewley Road Station over the Sheepwash Channel (a navigable link between the Oxford Canal and the River Thames).
The bridge was designed in 1850 by Robert Stephenson. It is mounted on a cast iron turntable with sixteen cast iron rollers. It was altered (presumably strengthened) in the late 19thC. and again in the 1940s. It was last used by trains in 1984. It is planned to be restored by the Oxford Preservation Trust.
Some photographs of the turning mechanism here.