Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,440 pages of information and 230,054 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Chronology of this group:
1955 A factory in Burton-upon-Trent, Staffordshire, was acquired for the separate manufacture of conveyor chain and agricultural chain machinery.
1958 Wheel manufacture in Canada began in 1958.
1959 Merged with Perry and Co.
1959 Renold Chains Ltd. were innovators in the chain industry of progressive die tooling (i.e. follow-on tooling) in the manufacture of chain plates. Chain plates for pitches between 1.0" and 1.5" were being produced by this method. Smaller pitch chain plates had begun being produced by this process many years earlier.
1961 Engaged as manufacturers of driving chains and wheels for cycles, motor cycles, automobiles, conveyor and general power transmission equipment. 5,200 employees. 
1963 Motor Show exhibitor. Timing chains. 
1963 The company acquired the manufacturing companies Manufacture Lilloise de Chaines S.A., of Lille, France, and Arnold and Stolzenberg GmbH of Juliusmuhle, Germany, and established a new wheel manufacturing plant at Charleville-Mezieres in the French Ardennes. Renolds also gained an interest in local manufacture in Spain during this period. Sales companies were established in Spain, in 1962; Austria, in 1964; Denmark (Renold A/S, of Copenhagen) in 1965; Switzerland, in 1968 and Sweden (Renold Svenska AB) in 1969. Outside Europe, the decade saw the formation, in 1968, of Renold (Southern Africa) (Pty.) Ltd., of Pietermaritzburg, South Africa, a chain manufacturing company. This later combined with the former Crofts establishment at Benoni, to form Renold Crofts (South Africa) (Pty.) Ltd.
1963 Renold acquired Arnold and Stolzenberg GmbH of Einbeck, one of the largest and oldest-established chain manufacturers in Germany.
1964 A significant strategic development of the Renold Group was the acquisition of John Holroyd and Co and this marked the start of the transition from purely chain manufacture to manufacture and supply of a complete range of power transmission products and precision machine tools. Further acquisitions brought more gearing, couplings, clutches, brakes, variable speed drives and various hydraulic products into the Group.
1967 Company now called Renold Ltd.