Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,143 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Reginald Jos Edmonds

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Reginald Jos Edmonds ( -1950)

1951 Obituary [1]

"REGINALD JOS EDMONDS was associated with the Royal Ordnance Factories throughout his professional career, including his apprenticeship at Woolwich from 1909 to 1914. His technical education (which extended to ten years) was obtained at the Woolwich Polytechnic and the City and Guilds College, South Kensington. After some experience as a supervisor he served for a short period in the Royal Naval Reserve as a first-class motor mechanic. On his return to the factory at Woolwich he was engaged on rate fixing, costing of explosive stores, and supply of materials until 1930, when he joined the managerial staff with responsibility for the organization and management of three sections of filling factories besides the charge of 2,000 employees. After holding the appointment of founder production manager at the Chorley filling factory, in 1939 he was made founder superintendent at Bridgend, South Wales, where he was responsible for the organization and administration of a new filling factory, the personnel of which eventually expanded to a total of 26,000. The duties of this important and onerous post also included initiating and developing the training of staff and workers. Two years later he was appointed assistant director with responsibility to the regional director for policy and direction of methods of production, in addition to the supervision of research and experimental work in three factories. At the time of his death, which occurred on 2nd March 1950, he was holding the appointment of superintendent of the Royal Ordnance Factory at Glascoed, Mon. Mr. Edmonds was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1927, and transferred to Membership in 1946. He was also an Associate Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers."

See Also


Sources of Information