Redruth and Chasewater Railway
The chief production of the area was copper at that time, although there was some tin and ochre mined. The output was then shipped north to the port of Portreath for smelting in South Wales, along the However
As the mines became more profitable, the owners of the Portreath Tramroad put up the price for trans-shipping. John Taylor countered by constructing his own tramway to link the principal mines which he leased in Gwennap – including Consolidated Mines – south through the Carnon Valley to his new port at Devoran on the south coast. This port was built on one of the creeks on the River Fal, above Falmouth harbour on the south coast.
1824 the Redruth and Chasewater mineral tramway opened, initially horse-drawn.
1854 Converted to using steam engines, with only one engine in steam at a time; the line was 4ft gauge
1904 The steam engines were saddle tank engines built by Neilson and Co:
- the Miner and Smelter, six-wheeled engines with four wheels coupled in front, built 1854
- the Spitfire, six-wheeled, six-wheel coupled, built in 1859 ; .
- the Miner was rebuilt as a six-wheel coupled engine in 1869, and again partially rebuilt in 1902; it had 3ft 6in driving wheels, and cylinders 12in. by 18in.
1908 The company was in the hands of the receiver. 
1915 The railway finally closed.
Sources of Information
- The Engineer 1904/10/14
- The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908