Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,095 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Raven Tinplate

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
1912

of Raven Steel Sheet and Galvanising Works, Glanamman, Carmarthenshire, Wales.

1881 The works were started in February, by Messrs H. Rees, D. Morris and others, as the Glannamon Tin Plate Co, the works having been erected by Mr David Richards (who in partnership with James Jones, purchased the Dynevor Tinplate Works in August 1881)

1895 They ceased trading in August, at which time the plant comprised 4 mills. In October, The Raven Tin Plate Co was registered with £20,000 Capital and converted into a galvanised sheet works.

1913 The share capital was purchased by the Grovesend Steel and Tinplate Co.

  • Plant comprised 5 Sheet Mills and Galvanising Plant
  • Weekly Capacity 350 tons
  • Brands were "Raven" & "Merino"

1937 Advert for Welsh Tinplate Works. Tinplate and Blackplate. (Engineering/Metals/Quarry, Roads and Mining/Transport Section - Stand No. D.328)

1939 In June, The Raven Tinplate Co ceased to trade as a separate company and was voluntarily wound up[1]; the assets were transferred to the Grovesend Steel and Tinplate Co.

1941 Premises were requisitioned by The Ministry of Supply for storage purposes.

1948 The buildings and freehold site were offered for sale, the machinery and plant having been removed previously.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. The London Gazette 20 June 1939
  • [1] RootsWeb - Glamorgan
  • 1937 British Industries Fair Advert pp666 and 667; and p404
  • The above extracts were taken from The Chronology of The Tinplate Works of Great Britain 1665-1949 by Edward Henry Brooke published in 1949.