Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,502 pages of information and 233,941 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
at Radcliffe-on-Trent, east of Nottingham.
Also known as Rectory Junction Viaduct, this cast iron, concrete, stone and brick arched viaduct carries railway lines across the River Trent.
Built 1848-1850 by the Ambergate, Nottingham and Boston, and Eastern Junction Railway. Most of the viaduct was constructed from timber, while the River Trent was crossed by a cast iron arch of 110ft span. Clayton and Shuttleworth of Lincoln supplied the ironwork.
In 1910 the timber viaduct was replaced by a series of masonry arches.
In 1981 the iron bridge was strengthened using concrete, which included encasing the inner cast iron structure, but the outer ribs were not so treated, in order to maintain the attractive appearance.