R. E. D. Bishop
From Graces Guide
Professor R. E. D. Bishop
1954 Bio Note 
Dr. Bishop was educated at the Roan School, Greenwich and at University College, London, where he obtained a first class honours degree of B.Sc. in Engineering, and the Head Memorial medal.
In 1949, after a short period as a designer with Rockweld Ltd., he took up a Commonwealth Fellowship at Stanford University, California, where he studied under Professors J. N. Goodier and S. P. Timoshenko. While at Stanford he received degrees of M.S. and Ph.D.
He was appointed a Senior Scientific Officer at the Armament Research Establishment, and was appointed Demonstrator in Engineering at Cambridge University in 1952.
1961 Bio Note 
Professor R. E. D. Bishop, M.A., M. S., Ph.D. D. Sc. (Eng.) (Associate Member), joined the Royal Navy in 1943 and was later commissioned as an engineer. In 1946, he went up to University College, London, to read engineering and during this time he worked with J. Stone and Co., Deptford, as a test engineer and with Rockweld Ltd as a designer.
He obtained a Commonwealth Fund Fellowship which enabled him to study at Stanford University, California, from 1949-51 and he then returned to Britain to become a Senior Scientific Officer with the Armament Research Establishment.
In 1952 he became University Demonstrator in Engineering at Cambridge, a Fellow of Pembroke College in 1954 and a University Lecturer in 1955. He was appointed to the Kennedy Chair of Mechanical Engineering at University College, London, in 1957.
Professor Bishop became a Graduate of the Institution in 1948 and transferred to Associate Member in 1954. He was awarded a George Stephenson Prize in 1960 for his paper on The Vibrating of Rotating Shafts. He is a member of the Editorial Panel of the Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, and of various other Institution committees.